If you’re anything like the Air family, or how we used to be anyway, then changing your air filter is always at the back of your mind. Then, once you finally remember that you should change it, it’s been so long that you don’t even remember the last time you did change it. You find your way to your furnace and pull out the filter which is so covered in who knows what that you aren’t even sure that it is actually the air filter. As you change it, you tell yourself ‘I am going to be better about remembering to change this thing’…..annnndddd another 6 months go by.
You’ve got to start somewhere, so lets talk about how often you should actually be changing your air filter. A lot of you will probably hear that you should be swapping out filters every month. Some of you are amazing and do just that, but you might often wonder if it is actually worth changing that often. There are a few things that can help determine an accurate furnace filter changing schedule.
- How many people do you have currently residing in your home? If you have an average sized family of three, you should be changing your air filter more frequently than someone living alone.
- Do you have any pets? Regardless of your household size, one little critter means that you should be changing your air filter at least once every 60 days. If you have multiple pets, changing your filter once a month is necessary.
- Do you have carpet? That soft plush flooring can trap more dust and hair than a tile or wood floor. In turn, that dust and hair can get back into your HVAC system. So, you’ll want to be changing your filter more regularly.
- Do you smoke tobacco inside your home? If so, that smoke can cause your air filter to fill up faster.
- Do you burn candles frequently inside? Of course they smell nice, but that smoke can also cause your filter to fill up faster.
- Does anyone in your home have allergies? If someone lives a life with itchy, watery eyes, and has a nickname of Sneezy, than changing that air filter can minimize the symptoms inside your home. You will be thanked for that.
- How often are you using your HVAC system? If the home in question has full-time occupants then you will not want to let your filter go for any longer than 90 days. If your home is a vacation home, then you could let it go for a little while longer. If you live in a warm state, like the beautiful state of Florida, and you are cranking that AC all day long, you should be changing your filter every 30 days.
- What is the size of your air filter? If you have a smaller filter, it will fill up with junk faster than the larger ones. A 20 x 20 x 1 is an average sized filter so you can use your best judgement on yours. If your still not sure, Air is more than happy to help. Just ask.
- Does your Home Sweet Home have bad air?
On average, humans shed 500 million skin cells and 100 hair follicles a day (it makes me sick to even type those words), imagine living in a family like Yours, Mine, and Ours, those numbers are through the roof. Each and every one of us is letting things “loose” all day long. The last thing we need is to recycle those 500 million unwanted skin cells through our respiratory system. Instead, lets clean things up a bit and make sure we stay on top of the air filter. An HVAC system sucks the air from the inside of your home to push through the system and back into your home. That is where the important roll the air filter takes on comes into place. It catches the yuck and lets the good go through. If the filter gets too jam packed, the yuck can squirm its way through. Think of your air filter as a giant sponge. The more junk it catches the less room there is for more junk. It gets too saturated and won’t allow anything else to stick. When this happens your HVAC system can lose up to 15% of its effectiveness.
Bottom line, only good things come from changing your air filter frequently. The air you breathe is cleaner, your HVAC system works only as hard as it needs too, and the very best part of changing your air filter is that Remember Air ‘basically’ does it for you. I mean, we would love to do the actual physical changing of your filter also, but life isn’t always fair and definitely not perfect. So, let us do everything but physically changing your filter. Once you have signed up and picked the specifics for your lifestyle, Air will know when you need to change your filter and we will be at your front door before you even know you’ve forgotten.